The application of biochar (pyrolyzed biomass residues) in agriculture offers a multitude of benefits.
- an increase in the water storage capacity of agricultural soils,
- an increase in fertiliser use efficiency,
- a reduction of agricultural nitrate release to the groundwater,
- a reduction of soil nitrous oxide emissions,
- a long term sequestration of carbon in soils (CO2-sink),
- and an increase of biogas production efficiency in biogas plants.
We are thus currently evaluating options to realize a biochar demonstration project on Gotland.
WAILA AB cooperates with the German biochar supplier Carbuna AG.